Parental Consent

We need the consent of someone who has parental consent for you to take part in this pageant.

1. Because we are required to do so by law.

2. To ensure your interests are protected

3. To keep and comply with the cultural rules that govern the continent we represent.  In Africa in most countries, it is ordinary and expected that a young girl will have contact with her parents, often her mother and permission means you can relax and have assurance of their support and understanding of what you are doing.


Who Has Parental Responsibility

A mother automatically has parental responsibility for her child from birth.

A father usually has parental responsibility if he is:

married to the child’s mother

listed on the birth certificate (after a certain date, depending on which part of the UK the child was born in)

You can apply for parental responsibility if you don’t automatically have it.

Births registered in England and Wales

If the parents of a child are married when the child is born, or if they’ve jointly adopted a child, both have parental responsibility.

They both keep parental responsibility if they later divorce.

Unmarried parents

An unmarried father can only get legal responsibility for his child in 1 of 3 ways:

1.jointly registering the birth of the child with the mother (from 1 December 2003)

2.getting a parental responsibility agreement with the mother

3.getting a parental responsibility order from a court

Births registered in Scotland

A father has parental responsibility if he is married to the mother when the child is conceived, or marries her at any point afterwards.

An unmarried father has parental responsibility if he is named on the child’s birth certificate (from 4 May 2006).

Births registered in Northern Ireland

A father has parental responsibility if he is married to the mother at the time of the child’s birth.

If a father marries the mother after the child’s birth, he has parental responsibility if he lives in Northern Ireland at the time of the marriage.

An unmarried father has parental responsibility if he is named, or becomes named, on the child’s birth certificate (from 15 April 2002).

Births registered outside the UK

If a child is born overseas and comes to live in the UK, who has parental responsibility depends on the UK country they’re now living in.


Same-sex parents

Same-sex partners who were civil partners at the time of the treatment will both have parental responsibility.

For same-sex partners who aren’t civil partners, the second parent can get parental responsibility by either:

(a)applying for parental responsibility if a parental agreement was made

(b)becoming a civil partner of the other parent and making a parental responsibility agreement or jointly registering the birth



If you do not live with your parents for example if you were put in care. Your parent/s STILL have preferred parental responsibility for you. We cannot accept authorisations from social workers to give parental consent for you.

This is because even if a local authority has a court order over your residency, they still SHARE parental responsibility with your parents and are legally obliged to INFORM your parents of your school, activities, movements and travel and to seek their permission and approval before enrolling or supporting your enrolment in any activity.  This is so your parents can support you to adulthood even if a court says that you cannot live with them.

If you are being denied a chance to connect with your birth parents by a social worker and you have not been adopted; call Childline 0800 1111 OR  NSPCC 0808 800 5000 they are open 24 hours a day.

Who Is A Legal Guardian

A legal guardian is a person who has the legal authority (and the corresponding duty) to care for the personal and property interests of another person, called a ward. Usually, a person has the status of guardian because the ward is incapable of caring for his or her own interests due to infancy, incapacity, or disability. Most countries and states have laws that provide that the parents of a minor child are the legal guardians of that child, and that the parents can designate who shall become the child’s legal guardian in the event of death.

Courts generally have the power to appoint a guardian for an individual in need of special protection. A guardian with responsibility for both the personal well-being and the financial interests of the ward is a general guardian. A person may also be appointed as a special guardian, having limited powers over the interests of the ward. A special guardian may, for example, be given the legal right to determine the disposition of the ward’s property without being given any authority over the ward’s person. A guardian appointed to represent the interests of a person with respect to a single action in litigation is a guardian ad litem.

Some jurisdictions allow a parent of a child to exercise the authority of a legal guardian without a formal court appointment. In such circumstances the parent acting in that capacity is called the natural guardian of that parent’s child.


Number Of Visits To Date